Thursday, May 8, 2008

Pulling Off the Ball - What do you Mean?

Pulling off the ball is something we talk to our hitters about. Pulling off the ball means that just before making contact with the softball or baseball, a hitters bat will begin moving towards the direction of 3B too soon. The action of the bat is actually a circular path, so naturally the bat can't move in a perfectly straight line back towards the ball, but we can elongate that circular motion and keep our bat tracking towards the ball for the greatest possible distance if we do some things right.

Below, I look at a 14-year old hitter VS Jim Edmonds and how the swings are very similar until 3-frames from contact. This is a lesson on proper positioning of the back elbow while the bat releases (or snaps) through the zone and how if the back elbow doesn't remain working back towards the pitch, you can start pulling outside pitches and turning doubles into ground ball outs. Enjoy.


This is one of my favorite angles to take video of with Right View Pro. This is the view I have of hitters when I'm throwing to them, so it really helps me understand what I'm seeing in real time when I have seen it frame by frame.

As always, if you have questions or comments feel free to e-mail me.

Mark Mulvany
Coach@Fastpitchtrainer.com

No comments: